Friday, June 25, 2010

Weekly Report 3

1. What did you learn about Korea this week?

I have learned of Admiral Yi Sun-sin, whose statue I saw outside of City Hall in Seoul.  He is famous and beloved in Korea for staving off Japanese invasion for seven years.  He never lost a battle.  



2. Summarize your project status.

This week, I wrote up my research report, or literature review, on emotions attributed to specific body motions in order to create emotional expressions in the mobile platform robot in KAIST lab.  

3. Take photos and select one to be the photo of the week. Describe it and why you shot and selected it.


 This is a picture of the Gyeonghoe-ru Pavillion in Gyeongbok Palace in Seoul.  I went sightseeing with Liz, Peter, Sara, and Danielle this past Saturday, and it was simply awesome.  I felt like such a tourist, but I was awed by every perspective of the palace grounds.  I must have taken about 200 pictures, but I chose this one for my photo of the week because it has not only the architecture that I find so fun and colorful, but also the nature that gave the palace such a serene feel and the mountains that gave a backdrop to the whole scene.  The first thing I ever heard about Seoul was that it is set in one giant valley ringed by mountains, so it was exciting to really be there and see the mountains surrounding us at a distance.

4. What did you learn about yourself this week?

I learned that I really love sightseeing, but only when I do it for myself.  I have gone sightseeing with family on vacations before and ended up miserable and hating the experience, but now I believe that that was because I wasn't discovering things for myself.  I enjoyed just being in the place when I visited Gyeongbok Palace, and that was possible because I went (more or less) at my own pace and for my own benefit.  

5. Who are the new people (Koreans not affiliated with the Hubo Lab) that you met this week?

When I went shopping at Myeong-dong market in Seoul (also on Saturday), I spent a long time at one of the wallet displays.  A Korean man came over and started talking to me in English, but I switched to Korean to introduce myself.  He kindly stuck to elementary Korean, and I was able to understand and answer a few of his questions about myself.  It was my longest conversation in Korean with a citizen, and I'll admit that I was proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment