Thursday, June 24, 2010

Photo Journal 2


This is my view of Myeong-dong market in Seoul, taken from a third-floor shop window.  It's exactly what I had hoped to find and experience when I imagined my trip to Korea not too many weeks ago.  It is almost bizarre to come to a foreign country and actually have my expectations met.  Of course, Seoul isn't quite as crowded as it was made out to be, and the customs aren't as different as I thought they would be (or at least not around me.  I can only see how people choose to act around a foreigner).

Anyway, when I was packing for this trip and imagining what it would be like, I'll admit, I had a very romanticized idea of travel.  I've heard about all the great writers being inspired by Parisian fountains or Grecian ruins, and some part of me anticipated that kind of artistic inspiration.  And drastic change within myself as a result of being in a completely different place.  But what I have found instead is even less time to reflect in solitude here than at home for a summer.  I think the Greats had such transformations as a result of complete immersion in a new place with no communication with home.

It's obvious that technology in the world today makes cutting all ties impractical, and damn near impossible.  If I was taking this trip only for me, I would forego the blog in favor of my leather-bound journal, and try out paper mail for a while.  It's hard to be completely in a new place when I'm so thoroughly grounded in my support system at home.  Of course, there are advantages.  I'm never in danger of losing myself, and I'm never homesick.  I have the world at my fingertips as long as I have internet.

Then of course there is globalization.  While I love the security of falling back on English in this practically bilingual country, it doesn't feel like a complete language immersion.  People recognize my home state when I tell them where I'm from, and they know more about American politics than I do.  It means that I don't feel like I'm away from my world at home- the world is so much smaller than I imagined.

I'm sorry not to have the life-shifting, self-reforming adventure that I had romanticized, but I can't say I've been too willing to give up my language or internet connections either.

No comments:

Post a Comment